[sdnog] Puppet Configuration

Patrick Okui pokui at psg.com
Wed Dec 2 11:11:08 SAST 2015

On 2 Dec 2015, at 11:08, Nishal Goburdhan wrote:

> so, knowing that most folk prefer to stick with the “default OS install” (and not to make this a puppet-support list) but i was curious if your advice on moving to puppet 4, would still hold in this case?
> ultimately, yes, it’s a personal choice, whether to install from the standard ubuntu repository, or to include the puppet repository instead, but it seems that the canonical/ubuntu-team seem to think that 3.8 is still the way to stay.   your thoughts ?

In general, for most software I stick with the LTS repos however for individual pieces that I need newer versions of (puppet, ansible) I tend to look for official repositories offered by the software provider[*].

In this case apt.puppetlabs.com is what I’m using. <https://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/install_puppet/install_debian_ubuntu.html> has good instructions on how to add the relevant repo.

My UGX 2 SHS.

--
patrick

[*] To be clear if the only way to get up-to-date packages for Ubutu was to use a third party repo (neither the software dev nor ubuntu repos) then I am more likely to roll out my own (private) repo. If the software isn’t “important” enough for me to do that then I’d just whine at Ubuntu to update their version.