[sdnog] Moving ispconfig

Daniel Shaw danielshaw at protonmail.com
Tue Dec 29 13:05:27 SAST 2015

Hi Khansaa,

I don't know anything about ISPconfig. However, I can offer some generic advice on copying a MySQL database from one server to another. Basically there are 2 ways to do it. The first is like you have done: By copying the files on disk that make up the actual data. BUT. There is a catch. If you do it that way, you *must* shut down the original source database first. That is, while you scp (or tar or rsync or whatever), the database on server A must be stopped.

If you need to do this without stopping server A (as it's in production), then you need to use method number 2. Which is dumping the data to text output on the source (server A), copy that file across to the target (server B) and then import it.

You can search online for mysqldump (the command to do the dump) and things like "dump and import mysql database", and you'll find lots of practical step by step instructions.

Regards,
Daniel