[sdnog] Utilizing Sudan' Resources

Samir S. Omer samir.saif at sudren.edu.sd
Wed Feb 4 15:59:12 SAST 2015

Dear colleague and SdNOGgers

I'm writing this email as a starting point to try to brainstorm on how to fully utilize Sudan' resources to achieve Network autonomy, rich local content, and maybe in the future have outer ISPs wanting to peer with us

if we look at Sudan we can see that we have

    * good National fiber network that extends to all states in Sudan.
    * we have an IXP.
    * we a big datacenter maybe on of the top data centers in Africa.
    * we have good technical community and eager engineers.
    * the universities' online registration system, that was enforced by the ministry of education broke the online payment barrier that was always an issue in Sudan
    * Sudan terrain allows it to become a wholesale distribution point to neighbouring countries.

seeing all of the above factors, I think achieving this goal is more of an awareness/governance/policy issues than of a resource issue. I know it's not a simple task that can be done in short time.
for the time being let's just start the discussion
so I like to hear from you on how can we possibly put all of these pieces together.

Regards,

Samir Abdullatif / Head of Electronic Services Unit
samir.saif at sudren.edu.sd / +249123788848

SudREN
+249155662050
UofK, Nile St. Khartoum, Sudren