[sdnog] Let's improve the Internet together and Host RIPE Atlas Probe

Nishal Goburdhan nishal at controlfreak.co.za
Tue Feb 10 09:57:53 SAST 2015

Hiba Eltigani wrote:
> + 1000
> It will help you spot any anomaly in your network.

that might be a little tooooo generous  :-)

what the probe does, very simply, is to act as a path, and latency
monitor.  so, over time, you'll be able to see the network path and
latency to things of particular interest, like DNS root servers, from
that probes perspective.  the probe acts as a live network host in your
network, that can collect and display (public or private) this
measurement data.

the probe is just one part of the picture though;  as a participant in
the project, you earn credits for hosting a probe and keeping it online.
  you can use those credits to run measurement tests using the resources
of the entire measurement network.  so, imagine having the ability to
say:  "show me the path to my network in sudan, from ... say vanuatu".
  :-)
it's unlikely that you have something of your own that will be able to
give you this data;  but the scope of the ATLAS network, probably does,
and can provide you with this data.

and because you have historic data, this can become quite interesting to
use.  for example, i have a probe in my home;  i used to use it, quite
frequently, when i first moved back to johannesburg, to prove to my ISP
that they had problems in their network that they were not detecting.
now, that same ISP has about 20 probes all over their network, and when
i call them to report a problem, they usually already know about it  ;-)

if you're interested in this, i'd suggest looking through the resources
that the OP mentioned in her original message;  and perhaps post your
questions here if you have any.

best,
--n.