[sdnog] Common problem in sudan | Duplex mismatch

Bernd Spiess bernd.spiess at de-cix.net
Tue Jan 27 23:11:24 SAST 2015

Hi Scott

good point ... in general there is no magic - the problem is quite standard on 100 MBit interfaces when you don´t
define if you connect auto to auto or manual to manual - if you try to mix auto negotiate with manual duplex you
have for sure this problem.

the check of duplex errors should be part of each link check after turnup - and as things are changing you should
also periodically check your interfaces on switches and routers ...

last: if you have performance problems - as you said: you can in many cases bet on a duplex problem in your network...
... and this is also one of the reasons why your switches should be in all cases manageable...

PS: keep up that great work - quite a perfect mailing list with very good discussions :-)

Bernd

Bernd Spiess
Manager Peering Service
DE-CIX Management GmbH | Lindleystrasse 12 | 60314 Frankfurt am Main | Germany