[sdnog] mobility in IPv4 and ipv6

Jan Zorz - ISOC zorz at isoc.org
Wed Jan 28 12:48:50 SAST 2015

On 28/01/15 10:40, khansaa abdalla wrote:

> Hi all ,,
>
> I am trying to understand the tunnels in mobile ipv4 & ipv6. Those
> tunnels are static tunnels right? You have to configure them manually
> from the Home Agent to the Foreign Agent in mobile IPv4 right ?

Hi,

It's a bit more complicated that that under the bonnet, but from
operational point of view all this happens automatically once you
configure HA (Home Agent) and MN (Mobile Node) properly.

I was part of the project team with Nokia when we developed the working
prototypes of DSMIP6-TLS, back then on N900 phone and Linux server as HA
and it worked very well. You can see the live-demo of that system that I
did in Paris (World IPv6 Congress) in 2012 :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j8cWO3Qqac

So, how does it work? You install HA on Linux server somewhere and
configure it, the biggest part of config is to put usernames and
passwords and "Home Address" numbers in configuration. When you have the
HA setup and you know where to connect you get the MN and configure the
daemon that takes care of that end of a tunnel. What you need is a HA
IPv4/IPv6 address and username/password. The rest is magic.

How does the magic work? It's complicated, but as a user you'll not be
exposed to that. The tunnel establishes (over IPv6 or IPv4, depending
what type of transport you have available) and both protocols are
carried over it - IPv4 and IPv6. Within negotiation process in the
protocol HA tells you your Home Address (v4 and v6) and you communicate
back CoA (Care of Address), that is your local IPv6 address (or IPv4 if
public) from which you send packets. You can have multiple CoA, in the
last version of our prototype we had ability to register multiple CoA
and be connected over multiple interfaces at the same time (3g, wifi,
...) and also we had flow-mobility - the ability to specify which flows
goes over which transport (if available).

When a CN (corresponding node) starts talking to your Home address,
packets go to HA and then into the tunnel towards your MN. What MN does
is that it sends back a packet with RH2 header, telling the other node
that communication can be established directly to his IPv6 CoA (and also
sends a binding update with same information) - and if CN is able to
understand RH2 header and/or binding update then communication can be
established directly, otherwise packets are sent to HA - tunnel - MN.

When you change the network the tunnel is automatically re-established
and the whole thing just works.

Does this answer your question?

> In
> mobile IPv6, the tunnel is from the Home Agent to the Mobile Agent
> directly. So how is the tunnel built? Do I have to manually enable from
> my laptop when I am in the Foreign network?

No. See above ;)

Cheers, Jan Zorz

--
Jan Zorz