[sdnog] Middle East and Adjoining Countries (MEAC) DNS Study Draft Report

Nishal Goburdhan nishal at controlfreak.co.za
Wed Oct 14 16:40:38 SAST 2015

On 12 Oct 2015, at 16:46, Fahd Batayneh wrote:

> Friends and Colleagues,
>
> Earlier this year, and as part of the recommendations of ICANN's
> Engagement
> Strategy in the Middle East, we issued an RFP seeking a consultant to
> work
> on a study that defines the DNS Industry in the Middle East and
> Adjoining
> Countries (22 Arab States, Turkey, Iran, Afghanistan, and Pakistan),
> and ti
> provide a set of recommendations on how to progress it forward. It
> feel on
> the shoulders of the EURid Consortium to deliver this study.
>
> Please find the draft report of the study as well as an infographic
> both at
> https://community.icann.org/display/MES/MEAC+DNS+Study. Please note
> that the
> document is draft, and so is open for any comments or feedback you may
> have.
> Feedback and comments can be sent to meswg at icann.org.
>
> Please note that we intend to hold an update session at the ICANN
> Dublin
> meeting  to share the findings of the study with whoever is interested
> in it
> or in the DNS Industry in the MEAC region. The session will take place
> on
> Tuesday October 20 at 16.15 - 17.30 UTC. More information can be found
> at
> https://meetings.icann.org/en/dublin54/schedule/tue-middle-east-dns.

i seem to remember that an earlier dns event that was streamed, wasn’t
available to interested participants from inside sudan. [1]   at least
not without them having to resort to complicated, and, imho, unnecessary
techniques, like IP address masking, through services like offsite VPNs
and proxies, etc.

in the interests of inclusiveness, and since this is *primarily*, a
middle east and north africa report, it would be helpful if the service
in use for streaming, this time, allowed participation from, well, all
of the middle east and north africa :-)
including, from inside sudan.   (and syria, and iran, and yemen, and
…).   without the participants having to jump through hoops to get to
the streaming, eh ?

i’m not going to be in either of these countries around that time;
but i’m sure, that if you ask, there will be no shortage of
interested, clueful and capable people, from this list, that will
volunteer to test a pre-screening, ahead of time…

just saying…
—n.

[1] http://lists.sdnog.sd/pipermail/sdnog/2015-March/000202.html