[sdnog] Server Management port

Jaco Engelbrecht bje at serendipity.org.za
Fri Aug 26 13:31:05 SAST 2016

Hello Wadah,

> On 25 Aug 2016, at 17:22, wadah khalid <engwada7 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've always seen a port on hp servers called (ilo) , I made a quick search and I found that they call it management port , for server management I guess ..
>
> What's the technology behind management ports in different kinds of servers ,
> I mean I used to manage my servers remotely through remote access applications why do I need such a port on my server ..

The ILO (integrated lights out) (HP specific term) or DRAC (Dell Remote Access Controller) (Dell specific) is an out-of-band management platform - I wanted to try compare it to a console port on a router, but it’s a bit more feature rich - but at the end of the day connecting to a (remote) console port on a router is as if you were local to the console with a laptop - with this it’s the same:  "The controller has its own processor, memory, network connection, and access to the system bus. Key features include power management, virtual media access and remote console capabilities, all available through a supported web browser or command-line interface. This gives system administrators the ability to configure a machine as if they were sitting at the local console (terminal).” [1]

ILO and DRAC options are typically very expensive, but well worth having access to this kind of technology if you operate serves on the other side of the world.  I’ve recently switched to using Lantronix SpiderDuo's [2].

Jaco

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_DRAC <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_DRAC>
[2] https://www.lantronix.com/products/lantronix-spiderduo/ <https://www.lantronix.com/products/lantronix-spiderduo/>