[sdnog] hXXp URLs

Philip Paeps philip at trouble.is
Wed Aug 31 10:16:14 SAST 2016

On 2016-08-31 08:34:04 (+0200), Mujahid Abdellatif
<mujahidjunior at hotmail.com> wrote:
> im wondering what is (hXXp), i've tried googling it but didn't find a
> good information about it. so any info would be much appreciated.

It's common practice in the security community to obfuscate 'http' as
'hxxp' in discussions of malware, etc.  The rationale is to prevent
stupid people (or stupid software) from carelessly following links.

[I'm a little surprised that nobody has thought to write an RFC about
the practice and get the URI scheme registered by IANA.]

Philip

--
Philip Paeps
Senior Reality Engineer