[sdnog] Hot standby routing protocol (HSRP)

Sara Alamin sara.alamin at sudren.edu.sd
Tue Jan 5 10:44:26 SAST 2016

Hi All.
Happy New year , Wish you all the best :)
Today I was reading about interesting topic and it was new for me it is : HSRP.

What will happen if you lost your gateway?how can you access the internet ?Can you Configure your PC or your servers with multiple gateways? how can you provide a backup gateway for your customers?...

Hot standby routing protocol (HSRP) sets up a virtual IP address between two routers (could be more) to provide layer 3 fault tolerance for customers using a default gate way.

you can find more: https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2281.txt

and here is a small video to show you the general concept:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxhdPI1jh6I

Enjoy!
--Sara Alamin--