[sdnog] Hot standby routing protocol (HSRP)

Mukom Akong T. mukom.tamon at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 11:54:19 SAST 2016

On 5 January 2016 at 13:17, Nishal Goburdhan <nishal at controlfreak.co.za>
wrote:

> remember, that this is an excellent tool to use for *client* facing
> networks;  so in an office lan, or on a client-hosted subnet, where the
> users of the “default gateway” are typically “dumb”
> computers/tablets/phones/etc that do not necessarily know how to deal with
> multiple default gateways, or path selection.

+1

> it’s typically not something that a provider would use in their backbone;
> routers are “smarter” and use routing protocols to achieve resiliency.
>
> in an environment where you would want to think about resiliency, i
> generally recommend that you setup and do this, even if you have one
> router, since, adding in an additional router as part of the hsrp/vrrp
> group later, can be down seamlessly, and with no downtime.  for example, at
> sdnog-2, we did this, even though there was one border router :-) and a
> chance that we might get one later…

for an environment that's not client facing. But where you have clients
that are mostly IPv4 where there's no way (as far as I know) to
automatically provision more than one default gateway to client computers,
have two routers without something like VRRP/HSRP/GLBP won't really help.
am i missing something?

In IPv6, since clients have not one but a list of default gateways, normal
RA's from each of these routers will obviate the need for gateway redundant
protocol, albeit with less performance in failover.

--

Mukom Akong T.

LinkedIn:Mukom <https://www.linkedin.com/in/mukom>  |  twitter:
@perfexcellent

“When you work, you are the FLUTE through whose lungs the whispering of the
hours turns to MUSIC" - Kahlil Gibran