[sdnog] Hot standby routing protocol (HSRP)

Mukom Akong T. mukom.tamon at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 12:48:39 SAST 2016

On 6 January 2016 at 12:54, Daniel Shaw <danielshaw at protonmail.com> wrote:

> Ah ha!
>
> Cool, thanks, now to go read how to make the routers I work with actually
> *do* this :-)

since all those are elements of Neighbour Discovery, you start by looking
at the ND configuration

> This could be avoided in most cases by
>
> a) On the routers: configure the RAs to have A-flags set to 0 (this tells
> (or suggests depending upon the OS) "Do NOT create addresses from this
> prefix). One might be tempted to not even have any Prefix Information
> Option in the RA but you need that, for on-link determination. However if
> it's a server LAN where you don't expect lots of intra-LAN traffic, you
> could just not have any PIO in the RA.

Cisco

(config-if)#ipv6 nd <prefix> no-advertise           #this sets A-flat in
<prefix> to 0 so that it can't be used to generate addresses by hosts

Cisco IOS tends by default set A-flag to 1 for each prefix of each manually
configured on that interface (hence you end up with multiple addresses on
the same interface of hosts on that VLAN). You can turn that off by doing

(config-if)#ipv6 nd prefix default no-advertise

Juno uses "no-autonomous" under the stanza for that interface to achieve
same goal.

--

Mukom Akong T.

LinkedIn:Mukom <https://www.linkedin.com/in/mukom>  |  twitter:
@perfexcellent

“When you work, you are the FLUTE through whose lungs the whispering of the
hours turns to MUSIC" - Kahlil Gibran