[sdnog] configure outgoing configuration based on incoming ports

Patrick Okui pokui at psg.com
Wed Jun 29 15:20:47 SAST 2016

On 29 Jun 2016, at 16:02 EAT, Samir S. Omer wrote:

> Hi Patrick
>
> So the port binding and forwarding will be done by squid without the
> need for IP masquerading or Port forwarding configuration on the
> firewall ?

I do not understand what you mean by this.

I assume you’ve used the
[http_port](http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/http_port/) to make
squid listen on multiple ports.

So basically you would have

	http_port 8081
	http_port 8082

This means squid will accept incoming connections to any IP on the local
machine on ports 8081 and 8082

If alternatively you want to make squid bind to a particular IP on the
local machine in addition to the port then you need (for example)

	http_port 192.168.1.1:8081
	http_port 192.168.1.2:8082

This means that on the IP 192.168.1.2 nothing is listening on port 8081
- only 8082 and vice versa on the IP 192.168.1.1.

However, to _use_ the squid running on those ports someone has to edit
the proxy options in their browser (or operating system). You can also
set up authentication for each port separately so someone needs the
right password for the right port.

If you want squid to be transparent to the end user, you need to
redirect the HTTP traffic as it goes out of your network to come to your
squid on requisite ports. This is called transparent proxying (or
interception proxying by Trouble and friends). This requires work on a
device in the path between the user and the internet. Typically a
firewall or a router. In that case you need MASQ, or redirect rules or
an ACL or ….

Again, it’d help to know what exactly you’re trying to achieve.

--
patrick