[sdnog] filtering traffic on BGP

Nishal Goburdhan nishal at controlfreak.co.za
Thu Mar 3 17:02:13 SAST 2016

On 1 Mar 2016, at 10:56, Manhal Mohammed wrote:

> hello SDNOGGERS :)
>        i would like you to clear  some confusing for me  on BGP
> filtering traffic , what i know that if you want to filter a traffic
> that is coming from peer you have to set the filter for that
> neighbour as (in bound) and vice versa. :/
> but some one told me that if i want to filter traffic i have to
> consider the opposite side (the neighbour's router perspective)if it
> is a received traffics (for my router)  i have to apply "outbound" for
> the neighbour inside the BGPand if it is advertised prefixes i have to
> apply "inbound" for the neighbour
> on my router :

hi manhal,
like most things, the answer is:  it depends on what you are trying to
do.  :-)

traffic flows in response to BGP advertisements;  ie.  you advertise
your prefix to your neighbour, and, in return, they send you traffic for
it.  thus, if you want to filer traffic just by using bgp, you can do
this in multiple ways.

you can try to:
* not advertise your prefix to them;  if you don’t advertise your
prefix, then, they won’t send you traffic.  this is handy if, say, you
have multiple network prefixes, and only need to make sure that they can
not send traffic to one prefix, but can happily communicate with the
other prefixes.  in that case, you’d just suppress the bgp
announcement for the prefix you don’t want them to talk to.

* filter what you receive so that their prefixes don’t make it to your
routing table;  what your routing table doesn’t know about, it won’t
route to, and if you can’t route to them, well, you can’t send them
traffic, which is largely the same as filtering.   this is handy if you
don’t want *any* of you network prefixes to speak to their network via
a certain path

… and then there are other tricks that involve a combination of these,
but before i try to explain those, how about you tell us what you are
trying to do, so that we can give you more detailed assistance.

—n.