[sdnog] Some ways to share large files on the internet

Philip Paeps philip at trouble.is
Tue Aug 22 09:50:10 SAST 2017

On 2017-08-22 09:25:58 (+0200), Daniel Shaw <danielshaw at protonmail.com>
wrote:
> On 2017-08-21 12:09:53 (+0200), Philip Paeps <philip at trouble.is>
> wrote:
>> On 2017-08-21 08:59:36 (+0200), Daniel Shaw
>> <danielshaw at protonmail.com> wrote:
>>> Both seem relatively secure. Both are free, and also can be
>>> self-installed (it seems).
>>>
>>> - https://send.firefox.com/
>>
>> This one leaks all kinds of data to Google:
>>
>> https://github.com/mozilla/send/blob/master/docs/metrics.md
>
> Ah ha! well I did say *relatively* :)

Your files are likely secure.  I don't like leaking metadata to Google
though.  I think they're creepy.

> But thanks for highlighting the specifics, very good to know. So
> really best used in an incognito window, if you use it?

I'd also recommend something like
[uBlock](https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock) to avoid leaking data to
Google.  But I rarely leave the house without wearing a tinfoil hat. ;)

> Thanks for the pointer to Nextcloud - I know of ownCloud, and it's a
> lot more than file sharing. But it is also a great way to achieve the
> same goal.
>
> Forking the thread a bit... I guess you prefer Nextcloud to ownCloud?
> Care to elaborate at all on your experience of the differences? :)

As you've discovered: Nextcloud is the continuation of ownCloud.  I
understand the developers of ownCloud had "creative differences" and the
project was forked.  It looks like all the active development is now in
Nextcloud and ownCloud is dead for all practical purposes.

Upgrading ownCloud 10.0 to Nextcloud 11.0 was completely painless.  My
database and ZFS volume are still called ``owncloud`` but I'm running
Nextcloud.  I could probably rename them but ... lazy. :)

Philip

--
Philip Paeps
Senior Reality Engineer