[sdnog] Limit wifi bandwidth per user

Philip Paeps philip at trouble.is
Tue Aug 22 13:46:17 SAST 2017

[Please reply to to the list and do not top-post.  Thanks.]

On 2017-08-22 13:33:56 (+0200), Mujahid Abdellatif wrote:
> On 8/22/2017 2:28 PM, Philip Paeps wrote:
>> On 2017-08-22 13:20:09 (+0200), Mujahid Abdellatif wrote:
>>> how can i limit or control or assign bandwidth per user in a wifi
>>> solution. is there any way that i can assign for example .5 Mbps
>>> speed per user or assign 512 MB as a download per user on a wifi
>>> scenario?
>>
>> That depends on your wireless infrastructure.  If you're using
>> something like Cisco, Extreme, Ubiquiti or Mikrotik hardware, you can
>> use their management software to set this us.  Alternatively, if
>> you're running pfSense, you can also configure traffic shaping.
>>
>> What are you using?
>
> I'm not using any devices yet. I've been asked to provide a WiFi
> solution that control the bandwidth per user for a small enterprise.

I would recommend Ubiquiti or Mikrotik.  In that order.  Ubiquiti is a
bit more expensive but is easier to manage when you scale up.  Mikrotik
is a bit cheaper but their management tools become a bit fiddly when you
try to deploy them at scale.

> so i was thinking of an open source solution to control the bandwidth
> per user. can i use any brands of WiFi with the pfSense to do so?

pfSense is something you run on a gateway.  It doesn't really care about
the brand of access points you use.  It's open source (based on
FreeBSD).

The advantage of using something like Ubiquiti is that you can control
the bandwidth directly on the access point and stop clients that have
gone over quota from even using (much) airtime.  pfSense sits deeper in
your network and throttles users based on their IP address.  This makes
it a bit easier to circumvent (though probably not a problem with
non-technical users).

If you have existing access points, you could try out pfSense and see
how far you get.  If you run into limitations, look into Ubiquiti or
Mikrotik.

Cisco and Extreme Networks also have solutions but they're vastly more
expensive.

Philip

--
Philip Paeps