[sdnog] Net Neutrality in Sudan

Nishal Goburdhan nishal at controlfreak.co.za
Fri Dec 8 11:51:39 SAST 2017

On 7 Dec 2017, at 15:20, Samir Abdullatif wrote:

> I don’t think they will be able to, I don’t think SIXP is a
> carrier-neutral IXP, but maybe if someone on this list who has better
> info can correct me

i think it’s less about not being carrier neutral, and more about the
current SIXP policies not allowing non-ISPs to connect.  this is a
common problem;  when they started, internet exchanges generally only
connected internet service providers, so it became accepted as somewhat
of a standard that IXPs were meant for ISPs only. some IXPs even wrote
their policies like this.  (eg. JINX, in JNB did, but that’s changed
now ;-))

modern IXPs don’t generally care what the nature of your business is,
and provided you have your own internet resources, you’re permitted to
connect.

i know that SIXP is meant to be reviewing their policy.  (i recommended
that the IXP be open to any organisation with an ASN).  i don’t know
what the end result is looking like though.

there are people from SIXP lurking on the mailing list;  perhaps
they’ll speak up  :-)

—n.