[sdnog] SD NOG

Nishal Goburdhan nishal at controlfreak.co.za
Thu Jan 26 21:32:37 SAST 2017

On 26 Jan 2017, at 12:14, Henry Dola <amuors at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks Philip for your prompt reply.
>
> Please indulge me.  From what I have been able to gather, BSD is a command line OS. My plan is to roll it out in an institutional set up that requires VLANS. They previously had Clear OS running but the individual who set it up left. Now my dilemma is that I need something that can be easy to work with GUI and offers equal if not better services.  Thanks.

henry,

if you’re looking for something commercial to solve your needs, i am sure that there will be some very adequate solutions, that you can find with your favourite search engine.  or lots of sales folks that will trip over themselves trying to sell you something.  might i suggest that a *NOG mailing list is probably the wrong place to ask for commercial solutions  (and, i’m sure that list-mother Sara, will send stern warnings to anyone trying to sell commercial products here).

philip suggested freebsd as an excellent base operating system.  assuming you wanted a “web proxy”  (because you didn’t _actually_ say that) spend some time reading up on squid (the proxy software).
you probably want to spend the time learning how to configure this on the command line (it’s not very difficult, and there are many excellent resources available online).   but if you _really_ want a web interface, lookup “webmin” and “SARG - Squid Analysis Report Generator” as tools that might be useful to you.  i don’t have first hand experience with these, but i have heard the names mentioned before.  at any rate, after you’ve tried to setup this up, you’ll be in a better position to see what does, and does not work for you, and perhaps pose more detailed questions.

squid does run on windows i’m told;  though i can’t rightfully tell you how to get that done.

—n.