[sdnog] IPFIX, sFlow collector

Nishal Goburdhan nishal at controlfreak.co.za
Fri Mar 24 11:14:53 SAST 2017

On 23 Mar 2017, at 19:40, Mehrdad Arshad Rad wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to share with you a new IPFIX and sFlow collector which I
> developed recently. If you would like to try it please send me an
> email
> directly then I can help you with the installation or if you have any
> questions. the main keys of this project are performance and
> scalability.
> It tested w/ 3Tbps traffic, sampling rate 20K and Juniper devices
> (MX,QFX) on an old dell server/Ubuntu 14.04 (usage12% CPU 200MB RAM)
>
> https://github.com/VerizonDigital/vflow

hi,
that looks very interesting, thanks!
bookmarked to test later.

in particular, the performance statistics are impressive, and what has
my interest.  i have two questions :-)
* is that a sample rate of 1 in 20,000 packets/frames (which is what i
am guessing) or a ipfix/sflow export rate of 20,000 pps?
* what was your exported ipfix/sflow pps rate for the testing that you
did  (assuming a 1/20,000 sample size, on iMix traffic)?

i ask because my particular interest is testing this, for sflow exports
from an ixp that’s in the 100gb/s mark, and i’m being lazy and
hoping that i can extrapolate numbers for scaling hardware, from your
testing. :-)
(also the documentation that i read quickly, mentions scaling this in
pps received)

thanks in advance,
—n.