[sdnog] issues with high IO systems

Daniel Shaw danielshaw at protonmail.com
Tue Nov 28 14:50:38 SAST 2017

Hi,

This is not an easy one-answer issue for me. I think you may have to try a few options and look deeper to try to find out what the real cause of the delays are.

A few areas to consider:
1. Maybe improve NFS at higher layers: look at udp vs tcp and NFS versions. Also rsize and wsize at mount.
2. Maybe improve NFS at lower layers: Are there any possible NIC or switch limits in play? If you do NFS over the same interface as the web or other services, and/or the snmp, could you dedicate a different NIC to NFS only.
3. Other ways of sharing storage? Perhaps experiment with iSCSI instead of NFS.
4. Consider other alternate options for collecting logs: Syslog supports logging to a remote syslog server for example. And many services like Apache that don't log to syslog by default can be configured to do so.

Sorry I don't have a quick or easy solution, but I hope the above provide food for thought.