[sdnog] Let's Encrypt behind reverse proxy

Tareq Fatehalrahman tarig134 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 10:09:47 SAST 2019

Greetings Zainelabdeen,
       If I understood you correctly, you have two different web servers
with two different names sharing one public IP address behind a reverse
proxy.
You can use the pfsense as the SSL termination and put the certificate on
it. I think you can issue one certificate with both names, you will have to
use the *(-d )* flag. This link can be helpful to understand the command
line options
https://certbot.eff.org/docs/using.html#certbot-command-line-options

If this is not acceptable, you should try to find a way for the back-end
servers to issue their certificates. You will have to make sure that they
can resolve names (they need to connect to Let's Encrypt servers). Also
make sure to forward port 80 on the pfsense to each server depending on the
requested domain, it is used for the verification. This way should work and
you will be able to issue separate certificates on each server following
the known instructions. It is recommended to use certbot
https://certbot.eff.org/

Regards,
Tareq Fatehalrahman