[sdnog] Can we help Kashmiri People?

Sami Salih sami.salih at outlook.com
Sun Apr 26 14:00:50 SAST 2020

Salam,
I hope you all stay safe, and enjoying a blessed RAMADAN.

Below is a message from a close friend from Kashmir.
I heard about the issue before, but never thought it's this bad 🙁.
He insisted in keeping this anonymous, I believe you know such systems never tolerates luxury to complain about Internet!
As we used to undergo a similar situation in Sudan and realized how such regimes harm the community, so can we help by:
1) Provide suggestions on how to utilize the available bandwidth (GPRS),
2) convey their message to International Internet community,
3) Any other thoughts.

Internet in Kashmir (India): An insight

Dated: 24th of April 2020

Internet blackout is a modern day example of retribution by a government on its citizenry. In Kashmir (Jammu & Kashmir, India) internet shutdown/blackout is more frequent than weekends occurring in a month. The reason for the blackout may be many but even the amalgam of these reasons doesn’t obligate a government to shutdown internet for whole population of about eight million in number. Previous year (2019), post 5th august authorities made a blanket ban on all communication media including wired telephone systems, cellular communication and thus internet blanket ban for no less than five complete months on a stretch. Even after 5 months of ban on internet and other allied services, internet was restored with limited domain of use. A white list of websites was prepared for the restricted usage and above that the speed of internet was limited to Second generation (2G) with a bar on bandwidth. Consumers here are paying for fourth generation internet services (4G) while only being able to use internet with a capped bandwidth speed of around 40-50Kbps.

The users of internet ranging from Academicians, small businesses, journalists, students and other general users are facing a challenge for the reason being limited internet speed and or frequent internet shutdowns. Individuals dependent primarily on internet like e-commerce based franchises owners, students; medical practitioners and other essential human needs are getting badly affected. Telecom industry is turning into a least preferred business opportunity for investors in this beautiful and scenic part of world.

To draw attention towards the current situation of internet unavailability a demand, a request, and SOS to the world internet regulating communities and forums is sought. An immediate check and scrutiny is warranted on this state of affair and this should come from human rights organisation and world internet forums with an impartial and humane approach. While populace here in Kashmir is bound to abide by the restrictions the facts about this internet blackout and subsequent outrage can be well verified from media and government authorities. The internet shutdowns are adding to the agony of young population of Kashmir big time.

To sum up the situation, we are here in Kashmir subjected to;

  1.  Frequent Internet blackouts (4-5) times a month
  2.  Bandwidth restrictions (Second Generation 2G / GPRS only)
  3.  Cellular service restrictions at times
  4.  Formal orders to ensure ban on VPNs(Virtual Private Networks)

Thank You

Dr. Sami H.O. Salih
Assistant Prof, School of Electronics Engineering, SUST
Head of R&D, NTC, SUDAN
President of SDv6TF
T/F: (249)122045707/187171355