[sdnog] NOC opportunity

Nishal Goburdhan nishal at controlfreak.co.za
Wed Dec 2 11:59:04 SAST 2020

On 1 Dec 2020, at 11:38, Yasmin.Salih wrote:

> is it  like you making fun of this post , or it just seems to me :) ?!

hi yasmin,

i was joking :-)  (and i am pretty sure jan, and sander were too!)

certifications themselves are not a bad thing;  it required rigorous
effort to study for, and take exams, and pass.  but certifications on
their own, are not the only thing that you should  be looking for when
you think about either hiring.  and they certainly should not be the
only thing that you worry about when you plan your career.  i always
make a joke about saying that i was trained as an economist, but i’ve
spent the better part of my life doing this “internet” stuff.  trust
me, you really do not want me to write a monetary policy for your
country :-)   and, someone that’s much, much better at this
“internet” stuff than i am, and who has done an incredible amount of
work in the developing regions of the world, and has been a mentor to
me, has a phd in nuclear physics.  again, i’m not sure he is going to
want to run a nuclear power station these days either :-)

so, you shouldn’t use *just* certifications to judge people, or asses
them for jobs.  in my experience hiring intelligent people that can
problem solve (in general), and have the right attitude to working, and
being able to fit into a team, are more important qualities than getting
the super-smart-sysadmin that no-one can, or wants to, work with.

the “joke” was that the advert asked for CCNAs;  but did not pay
attention to other important criteria - like experience.  i am sure that
any network would be lucky to have the likes of jan and/or sander
working with them.  even though neither have a CCNA  (and so, they would
be ineligible for this job) their experience in the field, far outweighs
the value that a CCNA would bring.

it was just poking fun :-)

best,
-n.