[sdnog] GMS & 3G internet connection

tariq198487 tariq198487 at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 28 22:50:59 SAST 2014

Hi all,

I am not familiar with mobile General but general GSM/CDMA are layer2 network.
If the ISP has one gateway router serving certain areas that means all devices contected within those areas will get IP in the same subnet.
In CDMA/EVDO the gateway router is called PDSN router,  each time a devices get contected it will get IP address via DHCP.

For example when moving from Bahri to omderman as you mentioned, mobile devices do not change thier IP addresses (If the hand over is done successfully) as there is one PDSN router serving both areas.

By the way you can make the DHCP to allocate fixed IP address to specific device.

 Remember I am not familiar with mobile network,  so other operators can have different answers depend on thier technologies.

Regarding,
--
Tarig YassinHiba Eltigani <higba6 at gmail.com> wrote:Hello Khaled
  I am not sure what is implemented currently in Sudan but generally there are different scenarios depending on the operator policy. Some operators set specific time for each lease of IP. So whether you are always connected or on and off you will get the same IP as long as timer for lease is not expired yet. Usually this is done using private IP addresses because it requires big chunk of addresses. Then the NAT/PAT to public will have no timers and every time you reach the GGSN, you will get different IP.