[sdnog] Updates on the IANA Stewardship Transition and ICANN's Accountability

Fahd Batayneh fahd.batayneh at icann.org
Wed Aug 19 09:15:56 SAST 2015

Friends and Colleagues,

As part of our efforts to keep you updated on the IANA Stewardship
Transition and ICANN's Accountability, here are a couple of updates since
the last update.

As usual, Samantha Dickinson summarizes the latest developments in her
regular blog posts. Her most recent piece can be read online at
https://www.icann.org/news/blog/an-update-on-iana-stewardship-discussions-en
.

Both the IANA Stewardship Transition Coordination Group (ICG) and the CCWG
on Enhancing ICANN Accountability have issued a call for public comments on
the latest documents. You are strongly encouraged to make any comments you
may have and encourage others to follow suite. More on this can be found at
https://www.icann.org/stewardship-accountability-public-comment.

Larry Strickling from the NTIA provided an update on the IANA transition in
a blog piece that can be read online at
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/blog/2015/update-iana-transition. Worth noting is
the text that reads as follows:

After factoring in time for public comment, U.S. Government evaluation and
implementation of the proposals, the community estimated it could take until
at least September 2016 to complete this process. In response to their
feedback, we informed Congress on Friday that we plan to extend our IANA
contract with ICANN for one year to September 30, 2016. Beyond 2016, we have
options to extend the contract for up to three additional years if needed.

Theresa Swinehart reacted to Larry's blog piece with a vlog that can be
viewed at
https://www.icann.org/news/blog/an-update-on-ntia-s-announcement-to-extend-i
ana-functions-contract.

The GSE ME also held a webinar on August 18 to update the community on the
latest developments in this front. You can play-back the recording at
https://community.icann.org/display/MES/Regional+Webinars. Attached are the
slides that were used by the 3 presenters; Theresa Swinehart, Manal Ismail,
and Mohammed Elbashir.

Finally, you can find translated copies of the CCWG second draft report at
https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=53783460.

That's all for now. Please do not hesitate to drop us a line shall you have
any questions.

Thank you,

Fahd Batayneh

ICANN