[sdnog] Understanding the Origins of Anomalous Open DNS Resolvers

Daniel Shaw dshaw78 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 22:00:33 SAST 2015

> On Mar 7, 2015, at 02:27, Ahmad Yassin <amyassin77 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> That is so interesting. So we can be a part of a huge DDoS attack without knowing and not only by getting infected by a PC virus or worm becoming part of a botnet!

This was indeed an interesting read. Not a problem with home routers I’d heard of before!

However, there are other common problem with these kinds of devices (consumer home routers) that can be exploited. Some more reading material :) ...

http://internetcensus2012.bitbucket.org/paper.html
https://www.team-cymru.com/ReadingRoom/Whitepapers/2013/TeamCymruSOHOPharming.pdf
http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/01/lizard-stresser-runs-on-hacked-home-routers/

- Daniel