[sdnog] Understanding the Origins of Anomalous Open DNS Resolvers

Ahmad Yassin amyassin77 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 10:46:45 SAST 2015

Thanks Daniel for the extra reading materials :)

just wondering: to what extend is scanning the internet legal? Obviously
the Carna botnet is illegal cuz it actively infecting hosts and alter the
way and purpose they function, but is it legal to scan the internet
randomly for, say, open resolvers and query them? Can anyone run arbitrary
port scans for open ports and try to interact with services? and can
country specific laws be enforced in such cases?

--ay