[sdnog] SSL integration Issues

Philip Paeps philip at trouble.is
Fri Aug 26 19:07:36 SAST 2016

On 2016-08-26 13:32:18 (+0200), Ayman Alshaikh <0x4ym4n at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd installed SSL cert. during  Letsencrypt live tutorial @SDNOG3
> conference

Excellent!  I hope you are not the only one. :)

> the first thing I'd noticed some external links wasn't https
> therefore some browser "eg firefox" says some page contents aren't secure
> .. later I managed to solve it by installing a plugin that enforce https
> for every external-internal links if supported https otherwise block it ..
> this worked perfectly for me :)

You probably want to make sure that all your "external resources" are loaded
over HTTPS.  I'm not terribly familiar with web things, but as far as I
understand it, every "img" and "script" resource needs to have an HTTPS
origin or web browsers will complain.

Should be a small matter of sed or another mechanical replace to fix.

> [...] I started to integrate Cloudflare service [...]

As Nishal points out: Cloudflare is probably doing more harm than good for
you in Sudan.

> this made my browser enter into infinte loop of redirection

Perhaps a tcpdump or Wireshark capture of the problem can help debug this.

> also I did a lot of googling to uninstall letsencrypt to disable https
> connection and test Cloudflare without it but i didn't find anything useful
> I tried to disable apachesslmod but no success . i am just tring i trust
> letsencrypt BTW :)

Note that HTTPS will take up more system resources than plain HTTP.  You
might just be running out of memory on your VPS!

Philip

--
Philip Paeps
Senior Reality Engineer