[sdnog] Links value to share "STP"

Patrick Okui pokui at psg.com
Tue Jan 19 20:55:07 SAST 2016

On 19 Jan 2016, at 16:59, Nishal Goburdhan wrote:

> On 18 Jan 2016, at 11:01, Sahlih Shihab wrote:
>
>> Dear Sdnog
>> Greetings
>> The URL
>> http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/support/docs/lan-switching/spanning-tree-protocol/10556-spanning-tree1.swf
>> contend a nice demonstration for Spanning Tree Protocol "STP" using
>> flash, and I found its valuable to share it with you.
>> If you have questions do not be shy and ask here.
>> Thanks
>
> salih,
>
> STP is now considered an old, and outdated technology, even though
> it’s still used heavily.
> and it has its fair share of problems.
> if you’re interested in L2 interconnection, try to lookup material
> on TRILL;  those of you in the best practices class on switching
> during sdnog-2 should remember that we spoke about this a bit.

The flip slide is almost any manageable switch will support STP;
unfortunately not that many support TRILL (at least last I checked).
Unfortunately though, many vendors do NOT turn on STP by default even
today!

To further clarify what Nishal has said:

- if this is a new deployment and you have the choice, look at TRILL
rather than STP.

- if TRILL is not a choice then please turn on STP. On top of turning it
on, please set priorities so you have your root bridges (and backup root
bridges) where you would want them. You can mitigate the L2 scaling
issues by pushing the switched domain as close to the users as possible.
i.e by reducing the number of devices a user goes through before they
hit a router.

--
patrick