[sdnog] What is Docker?

Philip Paeps philip at trouble.is
Sun Nov 13 20:19:15 SAST 2016

On 2016-11-13 09:05:00 (-0800), Sara Alamin <sara.alamin at sudren.edu.sd>
wrote:
> I wanted to ask about the "Docker", when you try to install some
> programs in ubuntu you can find an option to install these programs
> using "docker"
> Is it similar to linux repositories? and what is the benefit for using
> it?

Docker is a mechanism for creating virtual "appliances" by putting some
software and all its dependencies in a virtual machine image so that it
can be easily deployed without having to worry about dependencies.

It seems interesting but I can't imagine why anyone would need it.  But
I'm not a systemsy person so ... who knows.

Philip

--
Philip Paeps
Senior Reality Engineer