[sdnog] Net Neutrality in Sudan

Gael Hernandez gael at pch.net
Thu Dec 7 14:16:39 SAST 2017

hi Samir,

Thanks for sharing with the group.

For the strict supporters of net neutrality, there’s no debate and
zero-rating is infringing the rules. For most regulators, zero-rating
practices should be reviewed on a case-by-case basis, particularly when
they can have pro-competitive and pro-consumer benefits in their
markets. In other words, no strict opposition if they can work on the
public interest. However, there are also examples of governments
strictly banning zero-rating programs such as India and Chile.

An approach to reduce incentives for content and operators to develop
zero-rating programs in Sudan could be to facilitate the interconnection
to happen at the exchange point, and for all networks in Sudan.

Could Facebook join the Sudan Internet exchange if they wanted to?

Gaël