[sdnog] Impact of new timezone in Sudan

Patrick Okui pokui at psg.com
Sat Oct 28 04:36:00 SAST 2017

On 28 Oct 2017, at 1:15 EAT, Manhal Mohammed wrote:

> So the ISPs  should stop these services for one hour "  before the
> time change?  So there won't be a repetitive dates
> This will cause huge loss to ISPs !!

Well the actual time isn’t changing. It’s just that you’re
changing timezone from UTC +3 (East African Time) to UTC +2 (Central
African Time). I haven’t looked at the details to see if Sudan are
creating their own timezone (i.e EAT with daylight savings? something
else?).

If your applications, CDRs, etc are timezone aware then changing the
timezone shouldn’t matter - the timestamps should have the timezone
data in it.

For applications that are not timezone aware consider using UTC as the
timezone for those timestamps.

Basically when the “clock is reset by an hour” do not change the
time on your machines, just change the timezone you’re in and you
should be fine.

Cheers.

--
patrick