[sdnog] Impact of new timezone in Sudan

Philip Paeps philip at trouble.is
Sat Oct 28 22:05:50 SAST 2017

On 2017-10-28 04:36:00 (+0200), Patrick Okui wrote:
> On 28 Oct 2017, at 1:15 EAT, Manhal Mohammed wrote:
>> So the ISPs  should stop these services for one hour "  before the
>> time change?  So there won't be a repetitive dates
>> This will cause huge loss to ISPs !!
>
> Well the actual time isn’t changing. It’s just that you’re
> changing timezone from UTC +3 (East African Time) to UTC +2 (Central
> African Time). I haven’t looked at the details to see if Sudan are
> creating their own timezone (i.e EAT with daylight savings? something
> else?).

According to the tzdata2017c changes, Sudan is moving from EAT to CAT on
2017-11-01:

https://github.com/eggert/tz/commit/5c6d6ea498b95f6b6f8144c4c15e5a9e778f332d
https://github.com/eggert/tz/commit/9ea0b1760ff647175e298844708f51e45fbd6255

A workaround for systems that can't be patched, would be to temporarily
point `/etc/localtime` at a CAT location, e.g. Africa/Maputo, when the
changeover happens.

Someone who actually knows about time in Africa should sanity-check that
advice though.

If in doubt, update or patch your system. :)

Philip

--
Philip Paeps
Senior Reality Engineer