[sdnog] Privacy Policy Analyzer

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Fri Apr 13 03:06:25 SAST 2018

--- pokui at psg.com wrote:
From: "Patrick Okui" <pokui at psg.com>

Most people truly do not understand. To them we sound like a group of
tinfoil hat wearing nuts trying to protect our brains from being
scanned. Honestly when you look at the faces of people when you ask them
not to take pictures of you (without asking) and that if they do they
need to not upload it to certain places, I’m sure you get weird looks.
More on that later.

The other thing is most social media sites know how to phrase a question
about giving away your rights in a way that it looks benign and useful.
Even if you don’t have an FB account facial recognition et al from
people who do allows FB to still track you pretty accurately. In case
you didn’t know why Trouble doesn’t like his picture randomly taken
now you do. Recently FB now lets end users see some effects of the
facial recognition tech and came up with
https://www.facebook.com/help/463455293673370 . You’d be surprised at
how many people see that as a “cool feature” rather than “scary as
hell”.

I can only hope that a side effect of the hearing etc is people will
learn to take some things seriously and not out-of-this-world conspiracy
theories.

Wow, I'm in the company of like-minded people.  Cool! :)  You can't
imagine the crap I get from folks when I try to explain why I don't
want them to take a picture with me in it.  I definitely get weird
looks and they think I'm crazy...

scott