[sdnog] Privacy Policy Analyzer

Philip Paeps philip at trouble.is
Fri Apr 13 03:18:54 SAST 2018

On 2018-04-13 06:39:17 (+0800), Patrick Okui wrote:
> On 12 Apr 2018, at 20:45 EAT, Philip Paeps wrote:
>> On 2018-04-13 00:09:58 (+0800), Hiba Eltigani wrote:
>>> On the wake of FB case and data privacy, this tool looks interesting
>>> but its effectiveness is subject to debate. The question is whether
>>> users don't pay enough attention because they are not aware or they
>>> don't care?
>>> https://www.wired.com/story/polisis-ai-reads-privacy-policies-so-you-dont-have-to/amp?__twitter_impression=true
>>
>> Ignorance or apathy?  I don't know and I don't care? :-)
>
> Most people truly do not understand. To them we sound like a group of
> tinfoil hat wearing nuts trying to protect our brains from being
> scanned. Honestly when you look at the faces of people when you ask
> them not to take pictures of you (without asking) and that if they do
> they need to not upload it to certain places, I’m sure you get weird
> looks. More on that later.

You don't say...

I got in an argument on an airplane a couple of days ago.  While we were
sitting on the apron, out of the blue, the gentleman next to me put his
arm around me, takes a photo of us and immediately uploads it to a dozen
surveillance marketing brokers.  Not even a "by your leave".  I told him
to delete the photo because taking my image without permission is
morally equivalent to theft.  Of course he didn't delete it.  And even
if he did, it would still be there.  Data does not get deleted these
days.

I've mostly given up on asking people at events not to upload photos of
me to creepy surveillance marketing brokers.  I'm getting slightly
better at spotting cameras and appearing blurry or being behind the
ignorant or apathetic individual operating the camera.  (Which doesn't
help as much as you think: mobile phones now have cameras on both sides
-- brave new world).

> The other thing is most social media sites know how to phrase a
> question about giving away your rights in a way that it looks benign
> and useful. Even if you don’t have an FB account facial recognition
> et al from people who do allows FB to still track you pretty
> accurately. In case you didn’t know why Trouble doesn’t like his
> picture randomly taken now you do.

And it really shouldn't matter to anyone other than me why I don't like
it.  Asking first is simple courtesy.

> Recently FB now lets end users see some effects of the facial
> recognition tech and came up with
> https://www.facebook.com/help/463455293673370 . You’d be surprised
> at how many people see that as a “cool feature” rather than
> “scary as hell”.
>
> I can only hope that a side effect of the hearing etc is people will
> learn to take some things seriously and not out-of-this-world
> conspiracy theories.

People don't care.

Philip

--