[sdnog] L2TP/IPsec and IKEv2/IPsec VPN?!

Moh Suleiman moh.suleiman85 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 22:44:26 SAST 2018

*IPSec*
IPSec, or Internet Protocol Security, is a set of protocols used to secure
internet protocol (IP) data transmissions and communications, or more
simply, internet traffic. To establish a secure connection, IPSec works by
authenticating and encrypting each packet of data during the the time you
are connected.

*Benefits:*

   - Stronger security than PPTP
   - Highly configurable
   - Supported by iOS

*IKEv2*
Internet Key Exchange Version 2 (IKEv2) is the second-generation standard
for a secure key exchange between connected devices. IKEv2 works by using
an IPSec-based tunneling protocol to establish a secure connection. One of
the single most important benefits of IKEv2 is its ability to reconnect
very quickly in the event that your VPN connection gets disrupted. With
quick reconnections and strong encryption IKEv2 makes an excellent
candidate to use on Windows or iOS.

*Benefits:*

   - Easy to setup
   - Very reliable and stable
   - Faster and more secure than PPTP
   - Supported by iOS
   - More secure than IPSec; supports AES 128, AES 192, AES 256 encryption