[sdnog] 1G SFP into 10G port will it work ?

Nishal Goburdhan nishal at controlfreak.co.za
Fri Jan 11 13:32:49 SAST 2019

On 10 Jan 2019, at 22:34, Manhal Mohammed wrote:

> Dear Mohammed, thanx for ur reply ^_^
> the switch is not SFP+ port, only the server with the SFP+, will it be
> the same? And please elaborate more about it becase I want to know how
> it is possible, and in term of what? I need details

manhal,

some 10gb ports are able to downrate to 1gb;  that’s a feature of the
chipset controlling the network interface.
some are notoriously difficult to work with though;   so to answer you
question, you’d need to know
# what chipset is on the 10gb NIC on your server.  are you able to get
this information?
# does the vendor allow this to be downrates (so, even though, say
Broadcom, might make the chip, your NIC vendor might still override its
capabilities)

can you track down what NIC is in the server?

—n.