[sdnog] Weekly Routing Table Report

Patrick Okui pokui at psg.com
Wed Nov 13 12:58:44 SAST 2019

Hi Yousra, all,

On 13 Nov 2019, at 13:40 EAT, Yousra Abdalla wrote:

>> -          The reminder or the update of the weekly routing report is
>> very important for me J
>>
> Ok good,,,can you please tell me WHY ? Maybe by simple example ? This
> what I wanted to understand
>
> Thanks in advance ..
> *******************************

It’s easier to give examples if we know what kind of network you
operate. I’ll try and give two general ones. For more specific ones,
we’d have to know what your environment looks like.

Samir earlier explained that networks advertise prefixes to the
Internet. This is done today using BGP.

1. If you are an ISP in Sudan, you will buy transit from different
providers and provide that Internet to your customers. An important
decision you’ll have to make is if any of your routers needs to carry
the full internet routing table (to decide which transit provider to use
or because one of your customers is the kind that wants to make their
routing policy based on the full routing table). In this scenario just
knowing the size of the table will tell you the minimum RAM and other
specs you must purchase for the routers going to hold this table.

2. Some providers worldwide filter/block BGP announcements longer than a
certain length. Others block networks that suddenly announce large
numbers of prefixes. If you operate a corporate network and suddenly
lose connectivity to some parts of the Internet *and* you find your
upstream ISP is listed under either of these two categories, you could
have found the reason why your connectivity to those networks is
affected. You can then start debugging to figure out if that’s the
case.

--
patrick