[sdnog] Effects of encryption techniques on data-network management

Nishal Goburdhan nishal at controlfreak.co.za
Thu Oct 17 19:01:26 SAST 2019

On 17 Oct 2019, at 14:11, Sami Salih wrote:

> I need your input to see how we can allow (by regulations) techniques
> such as (TLS1.3, ESNI, DoH, QUIC, etc.).

i don’t understand;  do you have regulations (in sudan) to explicitly
permit/deny the use of TLS1.0 ?  or ssh2?  or ECDSA?   (is this why so
many sudanese websites don’t have an https option?)   if not, then,
why are the protocols you mention special?

this might be a case of me not understanding correctly;  you don’t
need regulation to use (for example) TLS1.3.  right now, someone willing
to spend the time and effort to compile nginx/apache/blah, with the
right flags, can set this up today  (hrm:  note for the sdnog admin
team, to do this on your www/wiki..).

—n.

ps.  i really don’t like DoH;  but i don’t think that calling for
its regulation is the right approach either.