[sdnog] Should we keep using mailing lists

Samir Abdullatif samir.s.omer at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 25 18:09:45 SAST 2020

Dear Tareq

Thanks for your response

I would argue your point using discourse (https://www.discourse.org) as an example.

> 1- it's owned by SDNOG.
We can also host our own discourse server.

> 2- it's more accessible and easier than the platforms.
There is a mobile app and a web app so accessibility is there also.

> 3- no additional software is needed, which means minimizing the cellular data consumption for people on limited plans.
I can’t give exact figures, but I believe, in term of data usage it will not cost mush since there is no media consumption

> 4- Email feels more formal, which helps in keeping messages on topic.
On the contrary we don’t things to feel formal it’s a community not a corporate environment, plus having a forum server makes it easier to define and organize topics with moderators

> 5- Not everyone knows how to use Slack and Discord, and last time I checked Slack is not available in Sudan.
That makes it a better opportunity to make the community learn more, it’s doesn’t have to be the same apps I mentioned. And we do’t have to get rid of emails, maybe we can have both options running since most application have email support anyway.

Thanks again, and looking forwards to hear from the rest

--
Samir