[sdnog] Should we keep using mailing lists

Tareq Fatehalrahman tarig134 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 17:51:24 SAST 2020

Dear Samir,
       That is a nice idea, but personally I feel that the mailing list is
better for the following reasons:

1- it's owned by SDNOG.
2- it's more accessible and easier than the platforms.
3- no additional software is needed, which means minimizing the cellular
data consumption for people on limited plans.
4- Email feels more formal, which helps in keeping messages on topic.
5- Not everyone knows how to use Slack and Discord, and last time I checked
Slack is not available in Sudan.

I have been using Discord for 3 years now, it often has big updates that
may be much for people to keep downloading every once in a while. And it's
made for gamers, just opening it will distract you with it's gaming news.

I tried Slack about an year ago, it feels more like a team management tool
than a place to ask questions and share information.

Best regards,
Tareq