[sdnog] Can not get the real ASNs using traceroute -a

Nishal Goburdhan nishal at controlfreak.co.za
Thu Sep 24 15:24:47 SAST 2020

On 24 Sep 2020, at 13:06, Patrick Okui wrote:

> I haven’t dug into details to figure out why that character from
> vodacom registered that object or why but that’s how the ASNs got
> into traceroute.

that’s a good question.  initially, i thought this might have been
allocated to vodacom/one of their clients, but some whois digging shows
otherwise.

for those of you that did not know, you can get a “history” from
objects in the whois database like this:
#  whois -h whois.afrinic.net 197.254.224.0/19  --list-versions

and see changes between versions like this:
# whois -h whois.afrinic.net 197.254.224.0/19  --diff-versions 1:2

and see specific snapshots like this:
# whois -h whois.afrinic.net 197.254.224.0/19  --show-version 1

so this was always a canar prefix.  and vodacom had no reason to
register those objects imho.
anyway, more homework for the canar team..!

-n.