[sdnog] Can not get the real ASNs using traceroute -a

Sara Alamin sara.alamin at protonmail.com
Thu Sep 24 16:06:40 SAST 2020

> whois -h whois.afrinic.net 197.254.224.0/19 --list-versions
This is interesting :-)

Thank you Patrick, Frank and Nishal for your clarification and reply.

I am just a little bit confused now about what are the differences between RADB and AFRINIC whois database.
because when I do a query like this:

$ whois -f afrinic.net 197.254.230.177
inetnum:        197.254.224.0 - 197.254.255.255
netname:        Canar-Telecom
descr:          Kanar Telecommunication (Canar Telecom Co.Ltd)
country:        SD
org:            ORG-KTL1-AFRINI

this correct,  but on RADB as Patrick showed us,  we don't get the same answer. so aren't these databases syncing from each other? and as Nishal's said this is always CANAR prefix , so how come RADB accept different origins for the same prefix.

according to RPKI stats, We have only one ISP,  MAXNET (AS37211 ) has generated ROA for their prefixes. I hope others do it soon.

I will contact my ISP and share this conversation with them.  and I hope we some friends from Canar and other ISPs who can help us fixing this.

Thank you!
--Sara--