[sdnog] Impact of new timezone in Sudan

Philip Paeps philip at trouble.is
Wed Nov 1 11:15:04 SAST 2017

On 2017-11-01 10:43:44 (+0200), Nishal Goburdhan wrote:
>On 1 Nov 2017, at 1:29, Philip Paeps wrote:
>>On 2017-10-31 20:39:49 (+0000), Manhal Mohammed wrote:
>>>I hope if Admins can give us a feedback about their experience on
>>>this after the changes "Problems and how they dealt with it "So it
>>>can be a document for future cases ^_^
>>
>>Everybody survived?  No casualties? ;-)
>
>when i checked in with her, list-mother Sara complained that her phone
>was still showing the wrong time at around 23h30 (utc+2).  well, no
>surprises there :-)
>
>interestingly, the “common user” stuff does appear to be updated;  eg.
>https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/sudan/khartoum and
>https://time.is/Sudan and wikipedia correctly reflect utc+2.  now,
>it’s just up to OS vendors to release patches.

Yeah ... for future reference: if you tell the IANA tz maintainers a bit
more than two weeks in advance, it's a lot easier for OS vendors to
release patches in time. :)

>perhaps coming soon:  the central african republic, will switch to
>central african time  :-))

Hopefully not too soon!

Please ask them to tell the tz maintainers in good time!

Ask them to read this:

https://codeofmatt.com/2016/04/23/on-the-timing-of-time-zone-changes/

If nothing else, have them notify this list:

Philip

--
Philip Paeps
Senior Reality Engineer