[sdnog] Should we keep using mailing lists

Mukom Akong T. mukom.tamon at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 06:24:50 SAST 2020

I have heard a variation of this problem frequently and of course the
search for a "better tool".

I have found a more effective approach to solving these types of problems
is NOT to talk about the tool but to define the problem

1. What problem are we trying to solve? (for which we now use email?)
2. How will we know that the solution we've found is working? (measure of
success)

Once we define those, then we can evaluate all the tools in an objective
manner rather than just chasing the shiniest newest thing that comes along.

The problem is really never email (or the http or ...), it's often because
we try to use a tool for a purpose for which it was not designed. Sometimes
it works, sometimes it fails ... spectacularly.

I faced such a problem with email some time back and here's how I
approached it.

https://www.slideshare.net/mukom777/how-to-love-your-email-again-inboxzero-via-gtd